Saturday, February 5, 2011

Vietnam ::: Saturday

Old American helicopter at the War Remnants Museum used during the Vietnam War
.
Last Saturday we landed early in the morning and managed a quick taxi ride to The Equatorial hotel in Ho Chi Minh City. We usually don't stay at fancy places like the Equatorial but Mike booked a room there so we thought we would make it easier on us all by staying at the same hotel. It's funny how a 5 star hotel can still smell like sewage and charges you to use the internet.  I'm not complaining or anything. 

As soon as we dropped off our bags we decided to grab a bite to eat and visit the War Remnants Museum.  I thought it was interesting to find out that they don't call it The Vietnam War, but the American War. Pretty terrible things happened that I didn't realize before. What shocked me the most was that 2 out of the 3 million people that died during the war were innocent people! So sad..

Looks good huh? The Vietnamese use fish sauce in almost all of their dishes.   After living in Malaysia for two years I have gotten used to the taste but since my pregnancy I can't stand the taste of it!  In this picture I'm actually not enjoying my meal but a girl's gotta eat!  

All that walking in the heat of the day made us tired so we decided to go back to the hotel. David went to the pool and was harassed by some kids who kept jumping in the pool right beside him which resulted in splashing him while he was drinking his beer at the bar. I took a quick,  I'm an exhausted pregnant woman nap in our ice cold hotel room with a comfy king sized bed.  Heaven.

Later on in the evening we found a place to eat at the main square of town, and enjoyed people watching and shopping at antique stores throughout the night.  



Before we left for Ho Chi Minh City I always imagined a dirty, hot city with lots and lots of motorcyclist. I never imagined how many there really would be! Here is a video of David magically crossing the street without injuries.

No comments: