Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Durian



A couple of evenings ago, after attending a cocktail party, Mike (David's boss), David, and I had an appetite and decided to get some food down the road from our hotel.  David and I shared a plate of some kind of chicken, rice and hot sauce that I don't know the name of.  It was delicious!  By the way, pretty much 50% of the time I have no clue what I am eating, and the majority of the time the food tastes perfectly fine.  Then we have the durian..

Wikipedia says, "the durian is the fruit of trees from the genus Durio belonging to the Malvaceae, a large family which includes hibiscus, okra, cotton, mallows, and linden trees.  Widely known and revered in Southeast Asia as "King of Fruits", the fruit is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and formidable thorn-covered husk."

After our tasty dinner we head back home and pass up a stall with hundreds of spiky, smelly durians.  Should we get one? I heard they actually taste pretty good. Yes we should!  We pick one out. The guy splits it in three pieces and there we go. The first reaction was from Mike. He said "it's an acquired taste, isn't it?" Secondly was David.  It took a few minutes but he was very vocal about not liking this "King of Fruits".  "I just can't get over the custard like consistency!"  Local's are laughing at us at this moment, and screaming "DURIAN!".  All this time I'm still wondering if I like it. The hard thing is to separate the taste from the smell. Shouldn't the things we eat smell good?  OK-I have decided. I am not a fan. Where's the trash can?

Since this was one of our first smellable K.L. experiences we have decided to name our blog Durian Delights!  Hope you enjoy! 

4 comments:

Liz Jordan said...

Oh this is fantastic!! I can already tell you are an ace blogger :) Yay! I will link you to my blog now too! Let's talk blog details and I'll help with whatever I can! You can also link your website to your blog :)

Love you! Keep up the beautiful work. What a great start!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Haha! You guys discovered the glory that is the Durian. I'm with you Kim, I just can't get past the smell.

Jay.

jean said...

I would love to try one, love the name DuraianDelights. I can hear your voice speaking through the words you write, it doesn't make me miss you so much.