Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns


On our weekend trips around SouthEast Asia, I tend to bring a book to read.  I had a problem last weekend though, because I finished my book on the two hour flight over to Cambodia!  When we got to front desk of our hotel, I noticed that they had a bookshelf with numerous books in all sorts of languages that previous travelers to Golden Temple Villa had left behind.  I looked hard for a Dutch book, but the closest to that was in German. (My German in not that good.)  So, I traded in Rendez Vous by Esther Verhoef for my fellow Dutchies, and found a book (written in English) by Khaled Hosseini called A Thousand Splendid Suns.  At first glance I didn't recognize the authors name or the books title but on the top of the front cover it said International Number One Bestseller By the author of The Kite Runner.  I read The Kite Runner right before they made the movie, and I really loved it, so I gave it a try.  I read the 402 page novel in two days, it was that great.  Compared to the Kite Runner which starred two young boys, this book is about a friendship between a girl and a woman.  I would definitely suggest this book to whoever has read and enjoyed The Kite Runner and is up for another great story by Khaled Hosseini.  That's it! My first book review. He He

**It seems that Columbia Pictures owns the movie rights to the novel, but production has yet to begin. 

*** I absolutely love the warm colors and design of the books front cover 

2 comments:

Liz Jordan said...

I need a new book to read, I'll pick up a copy tonight and then we can discuss! Great suggestion!!

jean said...

I think that will be my next book to read when I travel to Oma in April. I "READ & RETURN" at the airport book store. It's fun to do and I read more.