Sunday, April 19, 2009

A DWK & DKK KL Birthday Weekend


The Birthday weekend started with a wake-up call from my parents in Montgomery, TX.  We chatted for about an hour and it was nice to hear their voices.  The last time we spoke was a phone call to my dad on his birthday on a busy street in Adelaide, a couple of weeks ago. 

On friday I emailed David at work telling him that I missed our Katie dog. With that in mind, one of David's birthday gifts to me was a LEGO set that included two dogs and a doggie house.  So, before our movie date at The Gardens Mall theatre we sat down on the floor and put together my new LEGO set.  I forgot how entertaining that used to be as a child! 

Part of being the birthday girl I convinced David to take me to the movies to see He's Just Not That Into You.  While the cast was great, the plot was a bit disappointing.. Nevertheless, I can't complain about a wonderful date with my husband and.. fresh popcorn! Yum Yum

Next on the list, was a race back home to book a table for 10:30p.m. at NO BLACK TIE, a small music venue known for great Jazz Music.  I've wanted to check this place out since we moved to K.L. so this was my chance!  With a few hours to relax, David played his computer game, Call of Duty 4, while I practiced my new songs on the piano.  My teacher, Reena, is a tough one!  Later I changed into my birthday outfit and at 9:00p.m. my friend, Vanesa and her husband, Mariano, picked us up in their car and in no time, with the help of their GPS, we were eating dinner at a Brazilian restaurant very near to No Black Tie.  The food was great, plus I had my favorite mixed drink the Mojito. *note (they make it much better in Texas) 

At 10:35 we walk a short five minutes to the music venue to listen to some jazz.  David heads over to the front desk and tells the woman with the list his name and that we booked a table for four.  She scans her list and says there are no tables left. We find out that they gave away our table right after 10:30, thinking that we weren't going to show up!  Ahhhh!!  That night we learned a great lesson that the Malaysian way of taking your time doesn't really work at No Black Tie. A bit bummed, but not defeated we leave the venue and walk past a bar with the sound of good live music and decided to go for it. The night ended up full of laughter, good music, dancing, great company, plus someone else was celebrating her birthday at the bar so I even had birthday cake!  Happy Birthday to me!  26 years and so much more to live! 

1 comment:

Deek said...

At the movies they gave been caramel corn and I told them I wanted to normal pop corn. The lady swapped them out and said, "here is your healthy pop corn sir!" It was doused in butter, but I didn't feel bad eating it cause the lady said it was healthy! Yum!

p.s. Very very very much unlike the US, food and drink at the movies is cheap! roughly $0.70 for a medium coke!