Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aliens from Mars


I am an alien, but not the green alien that you find in movies like Mars Attacks or Men in Black, but a Permanent Resident Alien.  I get all the perks that an American Citizen gets; I get to work, I'm protected by the law and my favorite, I get to pay taxes!  There are just a few issues, that American citizens don't have to deal with.  And one is, international travel. 

Before my move to Malaysia my mom told me that I needed to file a form because I might lose my resident status.  Thinking about other important issues at the time I told myself, it can't be that bad.  I'll deal with it when I come back. I was completely wrong. 

I contacted the American Consulate here in KL and they told me it's too late to file the form and if I don't go back to the U.S. within a year of leaving the country I will lose my resident status.  When that happens I would need David to re-file for an Immigrant visa, which would be huge hassle (interviews, health checks, money, etc.) 

With these two options we decided that it would be best I returned back to the U.S. before the year is over, which is November 18th.  We're both a bit disappointed because we would've liked to go back home together. But what's an alien to do?  Oh yeah, apply for American Citizenship! 

1 comment:

Deek said...

Take me to your leader!