Sunday, September 13, 2009

GeoCache or Becoming a Tourist in Your Own Town


Pa Olden gave me his old GPS a couple years ago now.  When we moved to New Mexico, I made good use of it, and it saved me in some really sticky situations.  

One door it really opened was the Geocaching door.  The best part about getting into the office at 7am is getting out at 4pm.   With 3-4 hours of daylight to spend, you have plenty of time to do...well, 
whatever you want.  So I'd plug in coordinates and walk off in some random direction following the little arrow on my screen.  

Years have passed now, and sadly the old GPS is in storage.  I picked up a new one the other weekend, and today we went after our first cache.  I've been using the GPS on my mountain bike over the last couple weeks, but the only real valuable information it's provided is that Jag and we spend over 50% of our time BS-ing instead of riding!  
We went after a multi-cache today, which promised to take use all across the city.  Well, it did indeed, and even showed us a few things we've 
never found before.  Each location we found gave a new clue for the final cache.  When we finally found all the clues, we pieced together the clues and got our final coordinates.  It put us in a giant forest right in the middle of the city, and we must not have done our math right 'cause we were plum lost!  I knew it was in a forest, and with 50 metres to go I was standing at the perimeter fence looking at a 4 lanes of gridlock traffic.  

But with Geocaching nobody looses.  We found a great place for lunch, and we got out of the house.  I'll find that damn cache, but in the meantime I'm planning to place my own cache around the city!  It'll highlight all the best graffiti stencils I've found around town.  Sweet!

No comments: