Sunday, February 22, 2009

Potential New Hobby...

One big question on our minds since we moved to KL is, "what are we going to do as an active hobby?" Kim and I have always been into some kind of sport, mainly revolving around the outdoors. We mountain biked in college, hiked and Geocached in New Mexico and adventure raced in Houston. So when we got to KL it didn't take long to get antsy about getting into the outdoors.

I first looked into swimming. I bought some goggles and proper swimming trunks and actually kept up a good schedule (still do a bit). I was able to rotate 500 meters and 1000 meters each day and my technique was looking good. The pool at our temporary apartment was pretty out of this world as well...But it didn't take...Too much repetition and not enough scenery; I was bored to death in no time.

Next were "Hash" runs. Essentially a group meets on the weekend for a race through the jungle and/or palm oil plantations, after which copious amounts of beer is consumed. I immediately liked the idea as it was a lot like the adventure racing group we ran with in Houston. However the hobby didn't take, because it was only weekly and we didn't have a car to get out of town for the meet ups.

Then there was mountain biking. I figured I should stick with what works, right? I was literally one debit card swipe away from buying a new bike, but I knew I was trying to apply an instant solution to this problem, and I hadn't thought it through. I walked out of the bike shop and it was a great decision. Again, we ran into the problem of transport. I would need a car if I had a bike, because the trails, although only about 10 kilometers away, were not accessible by bike. I would have parked the bike in the store room and only used sparingly.








I was hard up, but then the clouds parted and we learned of Camp 5! Camp 5 is the largest indoor climbing gym in Asia, and I don't doubt it for a second! Kim and I went last weekend for a 4 hour basic wall course and now are official members. It is only a 10 minute scooter ride, and it's open late.








So no issues with transport, or time and the cost of starting up is really low. Best part of it all is Malaysia is a gem in regards to outdoor climbing. There are limestone cliffs in every direction and we are planning to climb our first outdoor route in a couple weeks. Sweet!








I think this one will stick...I have that gut feel!

1 comment:

jean said...

Sounds like a keeper!