Monday, June 29, 2009

A Good Ride


I took the opportunity of low haze and a cool afternoon to get out on the mountain bike this weekend.  Off to Bukit Kiara I went, hoping to find some new trails. 

As it turns out, the maps I have found are pretty out of date, and the whole area is criss-crossed with jeep trails, MTB single track, rubber plantation trails and horseback trails.  Which can be hard to decipher, and in the jungle it is very difficult to get your bearings. 

Each week I go out and get lost a bit, keeping in mind Coach Rick's famous advice, "Never get lost by staying found!"  This was usually followed up with, "now stop lookin' at me like an idiot and get to running!" but that is not the point!

So I get lost, try and find landmarks, remember old trails and just take in the cool air and wildlife.  My goal this week was to make it to the top of Bukit Kiara, so when the trail split, I would just go up! 

Up up and away I went, stopping to say hello to a rubber harvester, a pack of wild dogs, a troop of Macaques and for the very first time...a big snake!  I still haven't been able to identify the guy, but I'm pretty sure I should stay away from him.  In Malaysia, if the snake can't kill you with it's venom, it can probably swallow you whole...or something like that.

Anyway, lot's of excitement on this trip.  By the time I made it to the 'summit' I had about 15 seconds to snap this pic and run for shelter from the rain.  I found refuge under some big banana tree leaves and was really in the moment.  I hung my camelback from the tree and stood at the lookout with a banana leaf, filled that baby with rainwater and dumped in on my head. That was refreshing!  

Standing there, letting the big raindrops crash into me, I saw three bolts of lightning connect to a house far below...time to go!

I stumbled upon some sweet single track and flew all the way down the hill that took me so long to get up.  I assure you my smile was from ear to ear!  The rain was pouring, the trees were swaying and I was covered in mud.  It was one of those moments you want to bottle up. 

Anyway, made it back in time to test out some of Kim's delish potato salad, shower up and head to Marion and Vanessa's house for some world class Asado.  Finally hit the sack at 3am and slept straight on to the mornin'.  

No comments: