Saturday, May 16, 2009

Back in the Saddle

We've tried to find some kind of sport activity, but nothing ever sticks for us.  Squash, swimming laps and rock climbing were the most promising candidates...but they just didn't become a regular thing.  Rock climbing didn't pan due to either Kim being too light, or me being too heavy (prolly the latter!); either way it was difficult to be climbing partners.  Swimming never stuck because the lack of scenery (how long can you stare at pool tiles?).  And finally, I think squash didn't stick because Kim got tired of me beating her (or was it the other way around?  I forget!).

So I finally broke down and bought another bicycle.  I wish we would have brought our bikes from home, but I'm happy to have an excuse to finally upgrade!  Ha!  The bike is a BH Expert 7.7, and it's a dream.  Every single detail on this bike has been thought through.  When looking for a bike, a buyer will mainly focus on frame, drivetrain and brakes.  This bike is the whole package, and you can hold a magnifying glass to any part of this bike and it is all high quality, from the external bottom bracket, to the machined seat post clamp, to the aero spokes.

This Saturday I woke up and the first thing that hit my head was, "Let's ride!"  I went through the normal ritual of checking the bike, filling the camelback, checking for tubes and tools and kissing the wife goodbye (because I wasn't sure I was coming back!).  

Away I went!  I shot out of the complex and headed downhill at roughly 60 kph.  "Man she flies!" I thought.  I wanted to take a back way to avoid a bit of traffic, but when I got to the bottom of the hill I realized I had gone the wrong way....  Back up the hill I go, and go, and go. It's been 6 months since I rode a bike, and I could feel each lethargic day burning in my muscles. 

I finally got the the correct road, and went down a different hill.  Woosh!  I was off again, flying down the hill with the air rushing into my ears, and through my hair...wait...why is wind in my hair?  AH!  Forgot my helmet! 

Slow down, make a turn in some gravel and the fall is slow and painful.  I am using clip-in pedals for the first time, which allow you to lock you foot to the pedal so you can push and pull while pedaling.  Sadly it also comes with a steep learning curve when trying to figure out how to clip out!  In my lowest gears I creep back up the hill, slowly moving, slowly bleeding.
The combination of the heat and exhaustion (not to be confused with heat exhaustion) made me a bit delirious when I finally arrived back at the apartment.  I pulled up to the curb and tried to unclip but again, slowly, with no control I fell on my side.  A man walked by and said, "Awe damn!  20k and you fall at your front door!"  "Only because you were watching" was the only response I could muster (note that I haven't lost my sense of humor). 

After drinking some cold water, eating a handful of nuts and seriously considering calling it a day, I hopped on the bike and headed back down the hill.  Yeeehaw!  Man this bike goes!  It is about 5-7k to the trail head, and it can be summarized like so:  1k down. 2k up. 2k down. 1k up.  
At the trail head I was lying spread-eagle on the grass pouring precious water on my head to stop it from popping!  The road section to the trail head is largely unshaded, and the heat from sun feels like the weight of a boulder, pushing you into the road.  The heat from the road is saturates even the air making it difficult to breathe.   The grass welcomed me with open arms, and taking a nap crossed my mind.  But after I rested, it was time to ride!

Bukit Kiara is a section of land in KL that has been used for biking and trail running for years.  Over the years the land has been invaded by expressways and condos, but new trails appear and the evolution continues.  Most recently and Equestrian center opened and a lot of the trails were widened for horses.  The trails weren't compacted when widened, so there is a lot of mud and sand in these areas.  There is still some single track out there, and that is was I was in search of.  

I started on "Plan C" which has a easy section of single track that I liked.  I have a feeling the trail was created by rubber tree workers, because it follows a row of rubber trees, just like in the plantations.  I heard that the rubber will make you go blind if you get it in your eyes, and now I'm flying inches from the collection buckets.  Shikes!  First impression is the single track is much tighter than home.  Every meter is  a tree or rock just inches off you bars.  Nice.

I came up on a service road, and took it all the way up to a water tank.  I popped into another trail and came upon a small village of construction workers.  They were at the top of a hill overlooking the "88 Unnecessary Bungalows," with a sweet view of the Petronas Towers. 

 I took in the view for a bit, turned around and headed back down and found the trail, "Boulder."  This was a bit muddy, very steep and technical.  I usually wouldn't have a problem on this trail, but my feet were locked into my pedals and if I went over, the bike was coming with me!   I made it though, and I was very proud of myself.  I used "Upper Short" to get to "Twin Peaks" and stopped where "Mondo Cool" splits off.  I hung out for a bit and watched a troop of Long Tail Macaques make their way through the treetops in their never ending quest for fruit.  

At this time I didn't know I was at the beginning of "Mondo Cool," if I had, I would have kept on.  I heard this is a great trail, but I hadn't found a proper map yet, and therefore had no clue where I was.

Anyway, I turned back and decided to make my way back.  I fell twice trying to get back up the hills.  It was comical I admit, but very frustrating.  When you fall with clip-in pedals, you start to go and you're are desperately trying to pull your foot out, but it doesn't come out!  So you literally are sitting in the riding position and fall on your side.  So stupid!

I make my way to the last bit of "Plan C" and hit a bush and wham, fall into a ditch.  I shout a few expletives, and while the Macaques didn't understand they words, they got the gist of the message.  

Riding the roads back was not near as bad as going there.  I was warmed up I guess, and I didn't try to jam it up the hills.  Just took my time.  Along the way I crossed the area where I fell for the first time that day and I had a good chuckle.  

I didn't fall again, and after I got home I savored a cold beer and proudly examined my cuts and bruises.  Once I'm done with this blog I imagine I'm going to hit the road again and give "Mondo Cool" a try.  Once I am a bit more confident in myself, I'll start riding with a few groups, and with that I'll start racing again.   I like where this is going.  

Now where'd I put those band-aids?



No comments: