Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tortilla Time!


It's been a long time since we've had some good Tex-Mex 
food...today we took matters into our own hands!

The biggest problem with Tex-Mex in Malaysia is a good tortilla is impossible to find.  At first we decided to settle for what was in the stores, but Texans don't settle on an issue of this magnitude. 

Next we tried to forget about eating Tex-Mex, and only allowed it to enter our conversations when we talked about going home.  But time wore on and while it could have been a hallucination, my blood started itching.  I hate to admit this, but I was going through Tex-Mex withdrawals.  

So today we put our collective foot down and decided to do something about it.  Chicken fajitas or death!

The Fajita marinade was easy.  I tried 2 cloves of 
garlic, bit of cumin, bit of salt and pepper, chili powder and some soy sauce.  I cooked it over low heat in a covered skillet and pulled it off the burner just in time.  It was perfect.
Next was some salsa.  It took a little while to figure out, but coriander and cilantro are pretty 
much the same thing (Although Mexican cilantro 
is much more flavorful).  Anyway, I blended up 6 tomatoes, half a large onion, 3 cloves of garlic, a heapin' handful of coriander/cilantro, 3 fiery Malaysian chilies and salt to taste.  I threw it all in the blender, mixed it up and upon tasting, I found I had not lost my touch.  Yum.

Finally, we made our own tortillas for first time!  It actually is extremely simple, but very time consuming.  Just some flour, Crisco (or lard if you really wanna go all out), baking soda and water.  It was great!  And a lot of fun as well.  We didn't have a rolling pin, so Kim used a glass cup to flatten the flour balls and I did the cooking. 

All up I ate 3 and 9/10ths Fajitas, and dipped tortillas into the salsa to my hearts content.  I ate until I was full, and then ate about 3 times more.  I'm proud of our little creation.  It could be that I have not made a trip to Ruchi's, Mario's or Cinco's in a while, but I think we pulled tonight's dinner off with the skill of a 90 year old Mexican Abuela

2 comments:

Courtney said...

We've just moved here from Texas as well. We went to La Carreta's the other night (next to Ampang Grocery) and were actually pretty pleased considering we're not in Kansas anymore!

Though homemade is always hard to pass up!

Deek said...

Thanks for the tip! We will definitely check it out! I hope your move went well!