Monday, December 15, 2008

You Have to Say...Bah-Tee(k)

Yesterday I searched all over the internet for Batik painting classes.  Batik is a technique used in Malaysia to dye fabrics.  By hand the artisan uses a tool called a canting to outline a pencil drawn out pattern with wax.  Then the fabric is dyed using a brush.  It seems like a very straight forward process.  I find a place called Fine Art Batik Training Center taught by Mr. Sam.  http://www.fine-art-batik.com/index.html  

I contact Mr. Sam this morning to see if I can visit the classroom.  I'm surprised because he tells me he can meet with me at around 11:00 while he's teaching a class. That's in 30 minutes! 
After a five minute teksi ride I arrive at the training center which is actually a residential home and meet Mr. Sam, his wife and friendly dog.  aww..I miss my dog Katie..  I enter the home and in the center of the living room is a very long table with around 10 women of all ages learning Batik.  It smells like burning wax and there's beautiful art work all around the room.  

 I sign up for class once a week for three hours! Mr. Sam then asks me if I would like to start today for free!  I'm not prepared, but of coarse I decide to stay.  He gets me to outline a simple drawing of hibiscus flowers and then demonstrates to me how to use the canting.  It looks very simple to do, just like using a pencil but when I try to draw a straight line it just doesn't work out!  Ha Ha!  I had such high hopes.  While I practice in silence I listen to the Chinese ladies chatting next to me.  I can only imagine what they are saying.  Can't wait until next week! 

3 comments:

jean said...

This is going to be interesting to follow you on your class venuture, because I love fabrics. I am always curious as to how the batik patterns are made. Well, I encourage you show me too. Have fun next week.

KIM said...

Maybe I'll even paint something for you to use in your quilt! We can collaborate! : )

Liz Jordan said...

Kimmy, this is a brilliant idea! OH the world of opportunity! I'm so excited for how your creativity will flourish during your time there and look at you goo!!!